As we explained in the previous article, students’ physical and mental health may worsen during college years. As a result, young people may suffer from some illnesses and sometimes even do not realize their reasons. Of course, it badly affects the quality of their life.
So, it is essential to teach young people to prevent various health problems, which may occur because of the reasons presented in our previous post. You should remember that stress, heavy workload and bad sleep are the main causes of different diseases among all modern people, not only students.
These things are not easy to avoid, so we want to tell you about the ways of preventing their harmful consequences: bad mood, anxiety, illnesses and so on. Pay attention to the tips below.
Balance Your Diet
You have probably heard this about tip many times, but it seems to be useless for teenagers who just cannot stop eating chocolate, candies and fast food. Of course, in most cases, they simply have no time for cooking anything and prefer having quick meals. Such nutrition may cause significant and, unfortunately, negative changes: excess weight, acne, worse hair and nails, to name but a few. So, what should you do?
- Eat your breakfast every day. Keep in mind that with the first meal your body and metabolism start working and burning calories. Moreover, this is a good energy boost for the whole day. It will improve your productivity at college and prevent tiredness. Make the breakfast a truly big meal, but avoid too much fat and sugar.
- Drink a lot of water every day. It prevents gaining weight and helps your body fulfill its functions normally. Take a bottle with you everywhere you go, especially in the summer. Keep in mind that low water balance may cause several illnesses as well.
- Prepare various meals with different products: do not eat the same things every day. Your body demands a lot of different vital nutrients. It is possible to buy additional vitamins and minerals to make your hair or nails stronger, prevent some seasonal illnesses, and so on.
- Do not skip your main meals. It leads to breaks in your metabolism and functioning of some organs. You should not replace dinner, for example, with having several sweet snacks. Sure, you may not feel hungry, but your body may suffer, as it does not get the necessary nutrients with such food.
Do Physical Exercises
This is another problem to which many students usually do not pay attention. Most of them find that they move enough and do not need any additional exercises. However, its consequences sometimes demand even medical treatment. Of course, there are some easy and enjoyable ways how to stay fit and healthy with simple exercises.
- The most enjoyable and effective way to exercise your body is to do any kind of sports. It is better to choose some team games as baseball or basketball. They make you compete with other players and work harder. There should be many good sports sections on your campus which you can attend. It will not take a lot of time, but you can get pleasure and better your health.
- Do some simple exercises every morning to awaken your body. It will help your organism to start functioning properly. In addition, it greatly improves your productivity at college. Just add some easy exercises to your schedule and make it your everyday habit.
- Ride your bike instead of using a car or public transport. It will add some physical activity to your daily schedule as well. In addition, you will avoid traffic jams and be able to move from one part of the city to another faster. If you do not like this type of activity, you can just walk on foot instead of riding a bike. It is also very healthful.
If You Have Some Symptoms
It sometimes happens that you suddenly start feeling bad: your body is aching and nothing helps. What should you do in this situation? How can you protect yourself from viruses? Pay attention to the points below.
- Wash your hands every time you come back home. Of course, most of students know this advice since their childhood. Nevertheless, we still eat snacks with dirty hands. It can result in various illnesses. As a result, missing a simple procedure, which takes one minute, may lead to severe consequences and even to the local hospital.
- Do not go anywhere if you are sick. It is better to spend several days in your bed and try to cure yourself or ask a doctor for help. Do not attend classes if you caught a cold, for example. This may seem to be a minor disease, but you should not take such a risk. Firstly, you may infect others. Secondly, your organism will not get enough rest, and you will suffer from this cold for several weeks.
- If it is getting worse and worse, you should visit a doctor. Keep in mind that a specialist can cure your illness faster than you. Just ask the doctor for a prescription and have enough rest.
You see how important it is to know some ways of preventing illnesses and diseases, which are quite widespread among young people. These ways will let you study with greater effectiveness and avoid serious health problem. Remember that a simple cold left without a necessary treatment may become a severe disease. Of course, it is better to prevent it than spend a lot of time and money on therapy later.
We hope that out tips and hints are helpful for you. In the next article, we will tell you about the typical diseases which students may get while studying.